What is performer insurance, and why do I need it?

What is performer insurance, and why do I need it?

Are you a professional performer? Do you have insurance? If the answer to the first question is yes, and the answer to the last question is no, this information is for you! You may ask yourself, "Why do I need performers insurance?" Well, we are here to give you a few reasons why.

What exactly is performers insurance? Performers insurance, or a Commercial General Liability (CGL) policy, covers claims that could possibly come about from your performance or operations during an event you're at. This coverage is an important component of your business and is designed to protect your financial assets if you were to be sued. You can be held liable for claims that include things such as injuries to others or damages to property arising from your performance services. This insurance does not cover any injuries that you sustain during your performance (these would be covered by your individual health care plan), nor does it cover any injuries you may have caused to fellow performers.

For example, if you're a drummer in a band and your drum stick accidentally slips out of your hand while playing and strikes and audience member in the head, you could be held liable to cover the medical expenses accrued by the individual who was struck. Or let's say you're a fire performer and you accidentally scorch the ground. The event/venue could ask you to pay for the property damage. If you have Commercial General Liability coverage as a performer, you can file a claim to have these losses paid for by your insurance instead of paying for them yourself.

Once a claim is submitted, you are assigned a claims examiner. All claims are subject to approval or denial by the claims examiner, not your insurance company. The legal costs alone from claims like these can be financially devastating. With performers insurance, you'll have the protection you need just in case something was to go wrong. SIA offers single event coverage (from 1-10 days) as well as an annual policy. Click here to learn more!

Another reason you should you hold this coverage is this: Many events/venues will ask for your proof of insurance before hiring you, and already having CGL coverage shows that you are a serious professional. Different events/venues may also ask to be listed as additionally insured on your policy, and already having a policy will allow you to fulfill the paperwork side of your contract faster! (Wondering what "additional insured" means? Click here!)

Performer Aerialist